I love cabbage. If you're a fan, here's a recipe that you must try. Did you know that cabbage is great for your health? It's actually considered to be one of the best health foods.
Besides being delicious, here a few reasons to try this recipe:
- Cabbage contains the least fat and the fewest calories of any vegetable
- It helps lower cholesterol
- It's loaded with Vitamin C
- It's a great natural source of fiber
- It's a great source of antioxidants
- It’s expensive to eat
- 1 stick butter or margarine
- 1 small head of cabbage, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 pound polish sausage, sliced into round pieces (I use smoked sausage)
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes (Pull out a quart of your canned home grown tomatoes and chop)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 of chopped green pepper
- few drops of hot sauce (optional)
- chopped garlic clove (optional)
Melt butter in large skillet. Add cabbage, onion, and green pepper and cook on medium high for about 5 minutes stirring to keep from sticking to pan. Add remaining ingredients, cover and simmer for 20 – 25 minutes. Season to taste.
Note: I brown my sausage in the oven and have it ready to add to the simmering ingredients. I found the recipe rather bland, so I added garlic. Serve with diner rolls and apple sauce. Makes about 8 servings.